John Carmichael wrote:

> Hi Rod:
>
> Yea, it could be dangerous! But one should consider blunting the cone
> tip anyway for added precision when shadows are long. They are long
> for most of the hours in a year.
>
> .
>
> If the point is high in the air, then it’s not a problem.. Check out
> this giant one on a large horizontal dial that I think is in Newark.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlcarmichael/3869323292/
>
> Or, if it is high on a wall, then the point isn’t a safety issue
> either. They’d look cool hanging down on a wall dial. I’ve been trying
> to get Jim Tallman to try a little one on a Spectra Dial
>
> John

My insurers wanted $2,000,000 indemnity to cover the possibility of US
clients falling onto a dial gnomon. They actually suggested building a
wall around the dial to keep everyone at a safe distance! I solved the
problem (to my satisfaction) by always having a 'halfpenny scroll tip'
on my gnomons thereafter.

I recall a story that a well-known diallist leaned forward to check the
dial reading at a dial inauguration and injured his forehead on the
sharp point. Can anyone verify this tale?

Tony Moss.