Dear John,

This is a good riposte...

> You point out here that the declinations
> lines normally used (which I assume are
> conic sections) are not really correct...

They are indeed conic sections but they ARE correct
provided you call them "Constant-Declination Lines"
or something equivalent.

If you could somehow freeze the declination of the
sun at spot-on zero for 12 hours then the shadow
of the nodus would run along the equinoctial line
seen on many dials.  This is, of course, a straight
line (on a plane dial) and is, strictly, the line
associated with declination zero rather than the
day of an equinox.

> ... have any dials been made which take this into
> account?

Well, there isn't a strong case for drawing narrow
S shapes because it would be different for each
equinox.  The S would cross the straight equinoctial
line at the instant of the equinox and the hour-angle
of that instant at a given place is different for
each equinox.

That said, you could argue that the "cronometri"
that Bianchini incorporated into the meridiana
in S. Maria degli Angeli in Rome are there to
measure the point where the (undrawn) S shape
crosses the (also undrawn) equinoctial line.

In short, these instruments enable you to estimate
the instant of the equinox by the offset of the
point where the centre of the solar image crosses
the noon line.

To check their performance, Mario Catamo has
recorded the crossing on the day of every equinox
since 2003.

Best wishes

Frank