Hi All,

I would like to recommend a very interesting and useful
astronomical tool / program.  It's not cheap at about
$280 but definitely worth it, especially if you have a
telescope to guide.  You do need a medium grade computer;
I use a 4 yr old Dell laptop.  The program is from
Software Bisque and is called The Sky 6, Professional.

Example:  I was able to look at this equinox down to
very fine detail...though unproven down to the second of
time or angle but far greater than what sundialists
would require.  I could adjust the time by one second and
watch the change in the sun's altitude for sunset /
azimuth / RA / sun's apparent dia. etc or find the second
where the declination was closest to zero (I believe
the closest was something within 5 arc seconds to zero).
I saw that the Sun's declination was closest to zero at
about 2:19 PM, my Pacific Daylight Savings Time, I don't
remember the exact second because I don't have it all here
now.  I do remember that the sun's declination the day
before at the same time was +22'22" and the day after it
was -24'22"...so it was changing only about .3 degree
per 24 hr. day! Not that much when the sun's apparent dia.
is something like 1/2 degree (31'?).

The program is really fun in other ways also.  You can
set it up for anywhere on the earth and at any reasonable
time...say within + - 5 thousand years, to the second!  You
can look at just about any object in the heavens, get its
coordinates and so much data about it, including pictures
of many!  You can watch the changes of star patterns thru
the millenniums, watch the sun drift from Aries towards
Aquarius at the 1st pt of Aries (Spring) and so much more,
the possibilities are unlimited!  I can check and see when
one of Jupiter's moons is going behind it then have my Wife
watch thru my telescope's eyepiece and I will tell her when
it will happen by timing with my watch, and...usually
within seconds!  I will leave it to you to imagine what can
be done in designing / setting up / checking sundials etc!

Have fun all,

Fritz Stumpges