In Ottoman Sundials we find often the Italic hours because these hours give
the time  to the sunset, when the Muslims  must say the Prayer Maghrib.

These hours are given not from 0 (sunset) to 24 (sunset of the next day),
but, as Roger has written, in two cycles of 12 hours and  are called Ezanic
hours.

So at sunset we have the end of the 12th hour of a cycle and the beginning
of the 1st of the next.

In such a way only at the equinoxes at noon the  Ezanic, Modern (French),
Babylonian and Temporary hours have all the value 6.

In different days this is not true as you can see in the table attached.

In Ottoman Sundials  generally we don’t find Babylonian hours, while we have
often the lines of the Solar Time that give to the Muslims the time to noon,
that is the time to the Zuhr prayer.

These hours are not numbered as in our clocks or sundials, but, generally,
with the number of hour to noon (in the morning) or after it (in the
afternoon). So  : 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, noon, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

They use “Arabic numbers” or, in oldest sundials, numbers written with
“letters” ( Abjad method)

Gianni Ferrari

--
Mail to :  gfme...@gmail.com