Hello Friends,

Warren's message jogged my memory to recall an article which he, Fer de Vries, Bill Maddux and I published in the September 1998 Compendium about "A Card Dial With Italian Hours."

Following that article I continued to play with H2SS designs and produced a pocket size H2SS card dial with a folding cover. Please refer to the attached photo. In use, you stood with your back to the Sun and set the string's sliding marker to the current date. Then, with the card vertical and the string plumb line hanging free, you carefully tilted the card in the vertical plane so that a sunbeam through the front aperture was centered on the rear target. You pinched the string against the card and read the hours until sunset, using the dashed lines for morning and beaded lines for the afternoon.

My foolish thought was that every golfer and hiker and outdoors person would want this information. Can you guess how many of these sundials were made?

Best wishes,

Mac Oglesby

All,

I have enjoyed the discussion about Italian hours. My first dial was an hours to sunset dial on my garage door done in the 1970s. Mac Oglesby's models and dials are inspiring to me. I had a globe parallel to the earth in the 1980s that I liked to view on a sunny day. I could observe where on earth the sun was overhead and where the sun was setting at that very moment. About six years ago I worked on a design that would cast a shadow from a nodus onto a map that would show where on earth the sun was directly overhead. It was an ugly confusing map. My question is:

Hour and prayer lines are fine. Is there other information, that uses Italian hour calculations (or solar declinations) , that would be of interest to a broad audience? Fred Sawyer created a universal dial of modern hours based on a world map. Is it possible to create a "map" dial that would show where the sun is setting at that moment? What could it look like? Would it require a line shadow casting instead of a point? Any thoughts?

Thank you -- Warren Thom