Dear John,

> I'm asking you guys if you have seen any
> relationship between owls and sundials.

I once tried very hard to establish such a
relationship but my best intentions were
not appreciated...

I had a client and I wanted to symbolise
sunrise and sunset on the proposed sundial.

I offered a really beautiful cock for sunrise
and an even more beautiful owl for sunset.

The client's comment was brief: too fussy.

So there was another good idea that failed
to see the light of day :-(

Actually there is a College in Cambridge,
Hughes Hall, which has a modern down-market
sundial and I am pretty sure there is an owl
on it.  That's because Hughes Hall in Latin
is Aula de Hughes and Aula sounds almost
like Owl and they have owls all over the
place in consequence.

OK, I'm just the messenger!

Very best wishes

Frank