Perhaps the connection is that the ancient Greek word 'gnomon' means
'one who discerns' or 'that which reveals' . Athena (and her Roman
equivalent, Minerva) was the godess of wisdom and her symbol was the
owl.

Harriet

Harriet James
 Sunnydials
 35 Bradley Road
 Warminster
 BA12 8BN
 www.sunnydials.co.uk
 Tel: 01985 216311

 On Fri 19/11/10 3:43 PM , "John Carmichael" jlcarmich...@comcast.net
sent:

Hi Dialists:

I received this intriguing letter from Ohio State University.  The writer
talks about an old publication called “The Sundial”.  And then asked
me if I am aware of any relationship between sundials and owls!  I am not
aware of any association between the two.  I asked him to send me any
photos of this.  Meanwhile, I’m asking you guys if you have seen any
relationship between owls and sundials.

Thanks!

I’ll forward your answers to him, or you can write him directly.

John

 Nathan Varrone [mailto:nathanvarr...@gmail.com]
  Friday, November 19, 2010 1:20 AM
  jlcarmich...@comcast.net
  Sundial Information

Dear John Carmichael,

I am currently reviving a humor magazine titled _The Sundial _at The Ohio
State University. In old issues of _The Sundial_, I often see an owl on
top of the drawn images of sundials. Is there any association with owls
and sundials that you would know of?

Thanks so much for your time, we may do business with you in the future!

Best,

 --
 Nathan L. Varrone
 The Ohio State University