I am also interested in the sunrise, sunset times and locations. As a test I
used the SPA to calculate the earliest sunset and latest sunrise around this
year's winter solstice. This varies with the location. For here in Sidney by
the Sea, BC,  it predicted the earliest sunset was on 12/12/2010 at 16:17:49.
Things are already brighter in the evening. The latest sunrise is on 1/1/2011
at 8:05:58. Fine, I plan to sleep in on New Year's Day.

For sunrise and sunset they use a default value for refraction but have a
complex equation using the temperature, pressure and altitude angle for other
conditions. The correction is a function of the altitude and blows up at
altitude zero. Weather conditions have quite an effect on refraction near the
horizon so sunset times are significantly affected, +/- 30 sec. The eye height
and local horizon also affect the apparent times and azimuths. Some things in
life remain unpredictable, even "simple" things like the rising and the setting
of the sun.

Regards, Roger Bailey

From: Bill Gottesman
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 8:38 AM
To: Sundial Mailing List
Subject: Wonderful NREL Sun Position Calculator, in time for Solstice fun

Hello Sundial-listers,

I used to rely on Luke Coletti's Great Circle website's GROK calculator for a
precise calculation of sun positions, but that page has been non-operative for
about a year now.

The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden Colorado has provided
an excellent resource at http://www.nrel.gov/midc/solpos/spa.html, similar to
GROK.  Their MIDC Sun Position Algorithm utilizes Jean Meeus' modified VSOP87
algorithm, reportedly accurate to 0.0003 degrees between years -2000 to +6000.
 The NREL site also provides a link to an explanation of this algorithm as a
pdf file http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/34302.pdf.

The program will output a table of sun positions over a range of dates, in as
little as 1 second intervals.  It allows many options for sun position
measurements, but the most helpful to me are topocentric azimuth, geocentric
sun declination, Topocentric (uncorrected) sun elevation, and topocentric sun
elevation corrected for atmospheric refraction.  These tables are essential to
me in the field when I delineate true north using a theodolite, and lay out
predictive sightings for sunrise and sunset.

Beware; if you select "Topocentric Zenith Angle", the results are corrected for
refraction, though they do not tell you this up front.  You must select
"Topocentric (uncorrected) sun elevation" if you want to exclude atmospheric
refraction.

Lastly, they report the time of sunrise/sunset as when the center of the sun is
0.8333 degrees below the horizon (uncorrected for refraction).  This is to
account for the width of the sun, and an average effect of refraction, and
represents the moment that the advancing or receding limb of the sun (not the
sun's center) crests the horizon.

-Bill