In message <4d3ef531.1090...@zooplankton.co.uk>
          Frank Evans <frankev...@zooplankton.co.uk> wrote:

> Almost every possible form of dial seems to have been devised already
> but I have not come across an altitude dial resembling an analemmatic
> dial in that the gnomon is moved with the seasons and the time curve is
> a single ellipse. The shepherd's dial is an altitude dial but with a
> gnomon fixed in place and more resembles the form of the double
> horizontal dial. Does an altitude dial with seasonally moving gnomon
> exist anywhere? Any help?
> Frank, 55N 1W

Hello, Frank

No doubt other experts will have their own suggestions, but the one
which immediately springs to mind, is a "Capuchin" type of sundial.

Although it usually has a movable date-scale (similar to the method
used on analemmatic dials), the 'gnomon' is normally a slit through
which the light will shine, to correctly align altitude of the sun.

In principle, however, it might be possible to arrange some type of
movable gnomon with a fixed scale - but I would need to think about
that some more, before I could offer any workable solution on this.

Maybe you have definitely 'discovered' a new type of altitude dial.

Sincerely,

Martina Addiscott.

P. S. -  Have a good "Rabbie Burns Night", over there in the U.K. !