Something like this:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:20100714-012_Amersfoort_-_Zonnewijzer.jpg
Thibaud

At 21:50 16-3-2011, Brent wrote:
Hello;

I have an idea to build a mechanical sundial.

It would have a moving gnomon that would track the sun.

If the gnomon was a hollow pipe, a spot of light would
shine out of the bottom that could be used to indicate a
time and date.

With all of the photo voltaic systems available now the
hardware is fairly easy to find.

I'm thinking I could use a simple dual axis photo sensor
tracking device such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Solar-Tracker-Sun-Tracker-Kit-/400187219850

Has anyone seen a sun dial like my idea before?

I Googled solar tracker and they also talk about a
chronological tracker. That rotates one axis at the speed
of the earth but in the opposite direction. That would make
a fun sundial as well.

Modern technology offers lots of new possibilities for
sundials. Is anyone trying new designs?

thanks;
brent