To: "Sundial" <sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:51 PM
Subject: time, off topic

During Darwin's famous voyage aboard the "Beagle", Captain Fitzroy had 22 chronometers aboard, no doubt to obtain accurate longitudes. This seems pretty excessive and I'm wondering how many (or few) chronometers would have reduced his time errors to an acceptable level. Any thoughts? Poisson distribution, perhaps?
Frank 55N 1W