<<We know the sun is generally and at all times in the same spot.>>

Well, there's a controversial statement.

Relative to what?
The sun does move relative to me.
I move relative to the sun.
The sun moves relative to our galaxy.
Our galaxy moves relative to .......   etc..

The earth is moving at 67,000 mph relative to the sun.
The sun (with the earth in tow) is travelling at 486,000 mph around the milky way The galaxies are moving away from each other at increasing speed the more distant they are. So it only really makes sense to talk about motion relative to something else.

Is there such a thing as absolute motion?

Mike Shaw
53º 22'N 03º02'W
www.wiz.to/sundials

-----