In message <50535482.1010...@shaw.ca>
          brianalbinson <brianalbin...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Martina
>
> We do not have the problem in Canada, although I was prevented from
> putting the Zodiac signs at one school because of religious concern.  I
> pointed out that the signs predated both Christianity and Islam and have
> been traced back to Bronze Age (Old Babylonian) sources, but to no avail.

Although you said that Canada is immune from this problem, it
does not appear to be the case - since the "Modern Sunclocks"
website clearly states that schools in Canada have basically
'banned' Analemmatic layouts (due to being too popular!), and
so need written permission from their educational authority.

The URL is:  www.sunclocks.com/pics/fs-007.htm#reconstituted

I do not imagine that they would mention it on their website
if this was not true - as otherwise they will potentially be
missing-out on orders from Canadian schools, which they could
have had by "keeping their mouth shut" about this situation.

At least they have the honesty to 'pre-warn' their customers,
so that whatever necessary permissions can then be requested.

It was for exactly this reason (the children will fight over
it in the playground), that my own educational authority did
not let me create a full-size interactive layout - and so the
pupils had to make small individual working-models, instead.

If you might remember, in one of my previous messages on this
subject of 'safety' - I had some correspondence with a sundial
designer (in Croatia), who was not allowed to install a metal
layout in case it might get too hot in the sun, thus injuring
people's feet and causing some damage to their Tourist Trade.

That is just one example of "Health and Safety" gone mad, but
perhaps some list-members may have their own similar stories.

Sincerely,

Martina Addiscott.