Hello Douglas,

Your original post deserved a response. The sundial has an equatorial disk
inscribed on both sides with hour lines at 15° intervals. In the spring and
summer, the upper side of the dial is in the sun. In the fall and winter the
sun shines on the lower side. On the equinox, the sun lines up exactly with the
disc. The gnomon is a pin oriented to the polar axis that sticks out on both
sides. The dial is adjustable for latitude and longitude. It is a simple but
ancient design, similar to the bronze ring in the Great Hall in Alexandria that
determined the length of the solar and stellar years, differing due to
precession. This is described in Ptolemy's Almagest, still considered the
"great book" by many of us.

This specific sundial is significant as described by John in his original note
on 4 Jan. "Many years ago, NASS gave me the Sawyer Dialing Prize which was a
beautiful and sturdy little brass equatorial dial made by The Great Tony Moss
himself. Sadly, it has set on my shady workbench, much loved but unused for all
these years. I had no sunny window available and no good place outside- until
now! I thought what a great idea! I’ll use my Sawyer Dialing Prize Sundial as a
miniature monumental sundial on the railroad. So I glued it on top of a stone
pinnacle by the Trolley Station. Looks great and works just fine. Thanks Tony."

I am also pleased to own a different custom Lindisfarne Sundial by Tony Moss, a
great craftsman, teacher and also a Sawyer Prize winner. As a long time college
and friend, again, thanks Tony,

This list has been active for about 20 years as a way of sharing our interest
in sundials with old friends and new. In general we are quite tolerant and open
to sharing information. In 20 years only a couple people have been struck off
the list for persistent annoying misbehavior. Let's keep it that way,
tolerating the occasional interesting off topic excursions.

Regards, as usual,

Roger Bailey