Good comment and a logical alternative to the confusion. If people use MS
Office and wish to use this format, it must be changed in Control Panel. When
the pattern is added, the dates in Excel, Word, etc. default to the new format,
at least the short date. Open Office seems to be able to handle any format
regardless of Control Panel settings.

But would logic catch on?