Hi Jackie,

That sounds an interesting project.

To answer your question about what sort of sundial a hard-up doctor might have
had in 1613, I think the most likely type would have been a pocket dial, either
a small round wooden one like those found on the Mary Rose (there are modern
replicas that could be used as a prop) or an ivory diptych one.

If he had a garden horizontal, the likelihood is that it would be a small,
square horizontal one. Wall sundials weren't usually found on private houses at
that time, except for the rich - see the reconstruction of the Stutton Hall one
in the BSS Bulletin a couple of years ago.

If you stretch a point and do have a wall dial, it will be quite difficult to
illuminate it so that the shadow is visible. The main illumination would need
to come from a powerful spotlight which changed its position to simulate
different times (or even dates). A practical solution would be to have a series
of spotlights appropriately placed. The other requirement would be that any
other light falling on the dial (as general background illumination) was
minimised.

Good luck!

John

Dr J Davis