  From: GINO SCHIAVONE
  Subject: RE: sundials in schools
  One of the ways I like to find north is to determine the latitude and
longitude of a location with Goggle Earth (to Goggle Map). Then I enter that
information in the NOAA Sunrise/Sunset Calculator at
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/sunrise.html which will tell me the
time of Solar Noon on any particular date.
  Armed with this information I can use a plumb-bob over a point and mark a
second point on the shadow of the plumb-bob string at solar noon the moment the
sun is "southing". A line drawn between these two points is a north-south line.
  A long way around the barn, but rather fun.