Hi Darek,

        For what it's worth: I think the interpretation is balderdash...
The 'traditional' understanding of the wheels is that the temple is conceived as a chariot which is being drawn towards the sun, to which the temple is dedicated.
        As the Wikipedia entry notes:
"The temple has been built in the form of a giant ornamented chariot of the Sun god, Surya. It has twelve pairs of elaborately carved stone wheels which are 3 meters[3] wide and is pulled by a set of seven horses (4 on the right and 3 on the left).[5] The temple follows the traditional style of Kalinga architecture. It is carefully oriented towards the east so that the first rays of sunrise strikes the principal entrance."

best wishes,

Peter