From: Peter Mayer
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 3:13 PM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Clouding the issue

Hi,

    In the "Last Word" section of a recent _New Scientist_ Stephen Parish
raised the question of sundials that might work on cloudy days...Clearly,
polarisation is possible, but I'm doubtful about shadow casting...

Clouding the issue
  a.. 18 March 2015
  b.. Magazine issue 3013. Subscribe and save
  c.. For similar stories, visit the Last Word Topic Guide
Are there any wavelengths at which the sun still casts a shadow when the sky is
full of clouds? Could I make a sundial that would work on a cloudy day?

Stephen Parish, London, UK

This article appeared in print under the headline "Clouding the issue"

  a.. From issue 3013 of New Scientist magazine, page 57.
best wishes,

Peter

--
Peter Mayer
Department of Politics & International Studies (POLIS)

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.