That is an excellent question!  I have seen this photo before, and never
noticed the numbers running twice in a semicircle.  I, too, am perplexed.
I read about this dial in Hester Higton's book "Sundials at Greenwich."
 The dial operates on two successive polarizations of light - the first
being when light passes through the selenite strips on the glass, and the
second when light reflects at the "the polarizing angle" (Brewster's
angle?) off of the inclined dark glass plate behind the front glass.  "At
all times of the day the radii will appear of various shades of two
complementary colours."  This is different than how a single piece of
polarized film would be used today.

Does this help anyone figure this out?
-Bill