Great idea. A beautiful form for this type of dial. Thanks for passing on the link.

This seems a form that was referred to as "punctiform" by Gianni Ferrari.
His article, " Sundials With Punctiform Hour Lines", was in the Compendium for September 2004.
It is available on line at
http://www.advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Stained_Glass/sundials_files/Ferrari_Gianni_Sundials_with_Punctiform_Hour_Lines.pdf
He describes sundials with "hour windows" much like what is described in this Instructable.

It seems this "Time-oclock-shadow" is a concept simulation using a 3-D drawing program. The author states:

"Using Autodesk Inventor I first started tracing the angles on a sketch, then I created planes that went through the hour lines and the gnomon line. The hard part is done! Using each plane, extrude the right number out of it."

Actually making such a dial would be difficult to "extrude " numbers. Maybe a laser cutter?

As noted by one comment, the numeral form window might suffer some eclipsing from changes in solar declination. That is something he could check in his 3- D program. It would be easier to have a wide window that in turn shines on cut out numerals.

It is also notable that the guiding principle the author used was the hourly shadow planes. I used the same idea some years ago in making hour windows filed with vanes of those shadow planes. I never made a permanent model. Just a cardboard model was very time consuming to fill a sizable window with a few dozen vanes.

- Claude Hartman
35N  120 W