Von: Fabio nonvedolora <fabio.sav...@nonvedolora.it>
An: sundial <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Verschickt: Mi, 29 Jul 2015 11:02 am
Betreff: Re: Temporal Hours

        Hi all,

 I think the temporal hours some time are not temporal hours.
 For example, when they converge in the center of a scaphen, or when they  are
straight lines that radiate from the base of the style in a plane  dial.
 The sundials of the past with temporal hours sometime show these kind of
lines.

 These psedo-temporal hours have different justifications. They were  designed
so for ignorance in the Middle Age; to semplify their construction with  a
neglectable and aware error in the Greek  and Roman Age (these plane  dials are
insensitive of latitude); probabily as the first system hours, not  temporal,
in the most ancient time, when the first sundials were born, revolving  the
meridian plane around an horizontal style N-S.
 The horizontal lines, dawn and sunset, and the vertical one, the noon,
identify correctly their time, the other lines may be a first simply attempt,
instinctive and not calculated, to divide the day, not only with the start, the
 middle and the end of the day.
 I think this was an original time system, the first time system, not
temporal, worthy of a definition. Some years ago I proposed ‘vertical hours’
(on  the italian magazine Gnomonica Italiana) from the name of the angles
between the  meridian plane and the same plane revolved around the horizontal
N-S axes, the  vertical angle defined by Ptolemy.

 For example, you can see the recent finding of this Egyptian sundial (more
than 3000 years ago) www.sundialatlas.eu/atlas.php?so=EG9
 or this reconstruction of an ancient portable Egyptian sundial, similar to  a
temple (if I well remember the original is located in a museum of Berlin),
where the hour lines are the edge of the steps, simulating the scent and the
descent of the Sun

 ciao Fabio

 Fabio  Savian
fabio.sav...@nonvedolora.it
www.nonvedolora.eu
Paderno Dugnano,  Milano, Italy
45° 34' 10'' N, 9° 10' 9'' E, GMT+1 (DST +2)