A sundial is only a sundial when you can read in some way the time and/or date from it. With a tower that you can not see a shadow sharp enough on the ground to read a time and/or date when you are on the ground. Only from high above you might get a possibility to read the result. So only the visitors high in the tower or from an airplane.
Thibaud