On 03/11/2015 11:01, Claude Hartman wrote:

The relative sizes are typical of these devices - horribly off. The distance to the Moon is on average about 30 times the diameter of the Earth.

The Sun happens to be 400 times the Moon's diameter, and 400 times as far away. That coincidence means the Sun and Moon appear to be the same size when viewed from Earth.

A little estimate of size shows why a properly scaled model is not practical. If the model Earth is about 6 inches, the Moon should be 15 feet away and about 2/3 of an inch in diameter. In contrast, the shadow of this model's Moon would cover Australia !

Indeed, the distances are truely mind-boggling. I never really appreciated the sheer size, even just of our solar system ,until I saw this stunning short film of the solar system laid out on a desert plain, with a child's marble for the Earth.
https://vimeo.com/139407849

Steve