Hi,

Two years ago, Tim Entwhistle, Director of the Sydney Botanic Gardens, suggested, on the basis of plant 'behaviour' that in Oz we have five seasons, including two new ones: sprinter and sprummer.

"I reckon there are 5 seasons. There's an early spring, which I call Sprinter - August and September, there's a Sprummer which comes after that for 2 months - October and November. There's a long summer which goes right from December through to March, a short autumn, a short winter - both just two months long and then you're back at Sprinter."

He explains what he means by Sprinter. "Spring in Australia, particularly in southern Australia, comes a bit earlier - it comes in about August. That's really when we start to see things flowering. It's the time of year we see change."

"Sprummer is a season between Sprinter - this early spring - and summer, but it's a changeable season. One of the interesting things with Sprummer is that it's quite windy in lots of parts of Australia, you get hot weather and cold weather. It's a really transition time between Sprinter and Summer."
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s4133457.htm

I'm all in favour of local and realistic definitions--and names-- of the seasons...and I quite like sprinter and sprummer! Oh: and to keep the discussion firmly on topic, here are two small pix of a seasonal sundial in Canberra's Questicon museum which correlates Aboriginal seasons with astronomical ones.

best wishes,

Peter