All good clocks were set by sundial or observation of the sun’s transit or
stars until the mid-19th century and the use of time signals sent along
telegraph lines.  Some people then set their personal clocks or watches to
these observatory or town clocks (often set up by jewelers or clock shops—you
still see these “street clocks”), but many preferred to use their own sundials
or dipleidoscopes  to set their clocks or watches.  Pocket watches had “watch
papers” in the case that  gave the equation of time and advertised the
watchmaker who last cleaned the watch.

Cheers,
Sara

Sara J. Schechner
Altazimuth Arts
42°36'N   71° 22'W
West Newton, MA 02465
http://www.altazimutharts.com/

Sara J. Schechner, Ph.D.
David P. Wheatland Curator of the Collection of Historical Scientific
Instruments
Lecturer on the History of Science
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University
Science Center 251c, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: 617-496-9542   |   Fax: 617-496-5932   |
sche...@fas.harvard.edu<mailto:sche...@fas.harvard.edu>  | @SaraSchechner
http://scholar.harvard.edu/saraschechner
http://chsi.harvard.edu/