From: "tonylindi...@talktalk.net" <tonylindi...@talktalk.net>
To: <rodwall1...@gmail.com>, <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Brass or Bronze for Sundials.
Date: Mon, Jun 5, 2017 7:34 PM

Hi Rod,
The advantages for me is that they look good and take a handsome patination if
regularly cleaned and waxed with a conservators' product. (Details on request).
 Corrosion is a main problem, perhaps summed up by

"I am a sundial...ordinary words
Cannot convey my thoughts on birds!"   Hilaire Belloc

...... and their corrosive droppings. :-(  I sometimes suspect that my local
feathered friends feed on acidic epoxy glue! ;-)

Stainless steel (S316 grade) makes an excellent weatherproof dial if the
surface is lightly textured to reveal a shadow and if you can find an
etcher/engraver who will 'cut' it deeply enough.  My preferred surface
treatment was a Random Orbital sander with a worn medium paper which MUST be in
contact before switching ON then lifted away before switching OFF to avoid
start/stop 'swirls'.  This tool is widely used on car body finishing.

Tony M.

P.S.  Now that I know that others can view my messages I have no need to read
them myself.