Dear Friends,

In June 2016, I attended a symposium on the Science of Time.  The proceedings
have now been published by Springer, and are available for free download here:
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-59909-0

The Science of Time 2016: Time in Astronomy & Society, Past, Present and Future
Edited by  Elisa Felicitas Arias, Ludwig Combrinck, Pavel Gabor, Catherine
Hohenkerk, and P. Kenneth Seidelmann.
Astrophysics and Space Science Proceedings, vol 50.
Cham: Springer International Publishing AG, 2017

Many articles may be of interest to this group, but in particular there are two
articles on sundials.  I list them below along with direct links ot the PDFs:

Geoff Parsons:  "The Development and Use of the Pilkington and Gibbs
Heliochronometer and Sol Horometer"
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-59909-0_7.pdf

Sara J. Schechner:  "These Are Not Your Mother's Sundials: Or, Time and
Astronomy's Authority"
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-59909-0_8.pdf

Happy reading!
Sara

Sara J. Schechner, Ph.D.
David P. Wheatland Curator of the Collection of Historical Scientific
Instruments
Lecturer on the History of Science
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University
Science Center 251c, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: 617-496-9542   |   Fax: 617-495-3344  |
sche...@fas.harvard.edu<mailto:sche...@fas.harvard.edu>  |@SaraSchechner
http://scholar.harvard.edu/saraschechner
http://chsi.harvard.edu/