Hi Rod:

Using time sent over telegraph wires allowed determining longitude much more accurately than was possible before because time could be transferred more accurately than prior. But this also created a problem in setting clocks. In the late 1800s and early 1900s there were a lot of patent applications on ways to do this and a guy named Einstein who worked in the Swiss patent office read pretty much all of them in his office. People were beginning to see what today we would call relativistic differences but at that time they just saw problems. Note that Eisenstein never received a Nobel prize because he was just a patent clerk, not a scientist.

A common misconception is that Newton was a physicist who figured out what gravity is. Not at all true. Newton was a mathematician who invented mathematics to make "black box" calculations about gravity but had no clue how it worked. More about this in the Richard Feynman lectures at Cornell "The.Character of Physical Law".
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/tuva-richard-feynman/
also the book: Einstein's Clocks and Poincare's Maps: Empires of Time

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com