When I mentioned (at least hypothetically) a mechanical method and an
empirical method for constructing a Reclining-Declining Dial, they were
intended as ways to assure someone that s/he knows of a way that such a
dial can be constructed.   (I feel that it's unsatisfying to own, use, or
visit a sundial (or use a map-projection) whose construction-explanation
you haven't heard.

...though of course the empirical method that I described is perfectly
do-able without difficulty.

But there's another empirical method that's a lot easier to build than the
mechanical method, and a lot faster than the empirical method that I
described. It combines attributes of both of them:

On a flat plywood base, on the ground, build and fassten a Disk-Equatorial
or a Band-Equatorial dial.  Under that dial's gnomon, make and fasten a
block or plate having a surface that's oriented to the base, and to the
gnomon-north of the Equatorial, in the same manner that you want your
Reclining-Declining Dial to have with the horizontal and north.

Directly under the Equatorial's gnomon (as determined by a plumb-line or
T-Square) contact a stick with the base.  By Plumb-line or T-square, ensure
that the entire stick is directly under the Equatorial's gnomon. By
measuring the stick's length and it's high-end's height, you can make its
angle to the base equal to that of the Equtorial's gnomon.  So, when the
stick is fastened in that orientation, it's parallel to the gnomon of the
Equatorial.

(...further checkable by vertical ruler-measurements between both ends of
the stick and the Equatorial.)

Now, out in the sunlight, rotate the base until the equatorial's
gnomon-shadow point to one of its hour (or half-hour) lines. Then mark a
line on the block or plate representing the Reclining-Declining surface.
That's the same hour-line, for for the Reclining-Declining Dial.

Do that for every one of the Equatorial's hour-lines.

If necessary, of course, the base could be tipped upward at one end, with
that end resting on a boulder, tree-stump, box, etc.   ...or leaned on a
house, or laid on an inclined-surface. The orientation of the base doesn't
matter, as long as it's in the sunlight, and it's oriented so that the
Equatorial Dial's gnomon-shadow is on an hour-line.

Then, of course copy the hour-lines on your Reclining-Declining model to
the actual Reclining-Declining Dial that you want to build.

Michael Ossipoff