Roger--

I'm not sayings that the vertical projection isn't part of a valid
explanation, and I'm not even claiming to set myself up to say that your
explanation wasn't.

Now that you mention it, I've heard of sundial layout derivations using an
orthographic projection.

And I never found those derivations to be the ones that showed me anything,
though, as I said, I don't presume to say that they aren't valid, or that
yours isn't valid.   ...only that I myself didn't find them helpful.

So, since I perceive those explanations as more difficult, then I don't
perceive them as likely to be helpful to gradeschool students.

Michael Ossipoff