Ok, I see what you mean--I misunderstood because it's a kind of dial that
hadn't occurred to me. It sounded good, but then I realized that latitude
is built into such a dial, so it's only usable at a certain latitude.  I've
sometimes used a compass or solar direction-finding when hiking in my own
county, but mostly when in an unfamiliar town. When you make a sun-compass,
you don't necessarily know where you'll need it.  That's something that I
like about the Universal Analemmatic Dial as a suncompass.   ...and the
fact that constructing it need consist only of printing out the markings,
which, by themselves, can tell you the Sun's azimuth at any latitude, date
and time.

Though AW determines azimuth primarily from time, it's still true that, as
you said,  an altitude mis-estimate could have more effect near mid-day,
because the higher the Sun is, the more greatly the altitude affects the
difference between h and Az. So, what you said about that was true.

I was just looking more at the error due to substituting h and Az for their
sines, and assuming that the altitude estimate is good.

Michael Ossipoff