I’d said:

.

The Shadow-Tip method [has] accuracy is greater at lower latitudes.

.

You replied:

.

That's putting it mildly, I think. The method would be OK everywhere around
midday or near an equinox but I suspect it's really, really bad if used
early or late on a midsummer day at higher latitudes. I'm from 55N, and for
that latitude I reckon it could reach as much as 45 degrees off outside of
the midday period in summer.

.

I answer:

.

Yes, I get 42.7 degrees max error at that date at sunset or sunrise. But
you’d know that, and so you’d know that the error will vary from 0 to 42.7,
(at least on the summer side, and something very similar on the winter
side) facilitating an a reasonably good estimate of how much the error will
be at any time, because you know it will be less when closer to the equinox
or noon..

.

It’s dinner-time now, and so this is just a quick preliminary reply. After
dinner, I’ll reply to the rest of your post, and will report the
Watch-Method’s errors at some times at the summer solstice at lat 55.

By the way, of course AW would be at its best at high latitudes.

Michael Ossipoff