Happy New Year, Frank,

How about a T-shaped dial consisting of a vertical east dial backed by a
vertical west dial and sharing a solid sloping roof whose edges act as the
gnomons. The hour lines close to noon could be marked as a horizontal dial
on the "floor" of the dial.

I think that this would meet the noon gap requirement but I cannot think of
a location that demands it.

Best wishes,

Geoff