space with respect to the sun will read the same time, regardless of
where on earth they are.
---

On 2023-04-02 19:24, Steve Lelievre wrote:

Jack, Try out my calculator! You can specify a time zone meridian for the dial at its original location, or at its new location, or both. If there is an effective longitude change, it'll tell you how to position (twist) the dial on the wedge and how to orient the wedge itself, turning it away (rotating it ) from the meridian line. Steve On 2023-04-02 3:59 p.m., Jack Aubert wrote: I thought about this briefly. I had always thought that the purpose of the shim or wedge adjustment was to tip the dial north or south so that dial is at the latitude it was originally designed for. If the original dial has a built-in longitude correction, that could also be factored into a wedge which would have both a north-south and east-west axis. But a wedge would not work if it moved the gnomon out of alignment with the with the rotation of the earth (or the celestial sphere). I think a longitudinal adjustment would only work if he original dial had a time-zone offset included by rotating the hour lines with respect to the origin of the gnomon. Does this make sense? It sounds like a good project for a 3-D printer. Jack