Meik Hellmund wrote:
Just my 2 eurocents: All my Debian installations work fine with the original "function logerr {....}". I noticed that Ubuntu (in contrast to Debian) provides both pdksh and ksh. Jens, it is possible that you have installed both packages and that ksh is actually used instead of pdksh?

This really shouldn't matter.

In pdksh, these two declarations are identical.
In ksh93, they are subtly different, but not in ways that seem pertinent to this trivial function. If we're missing something, it would be good to know what that is.

In 4.1 we tried to remove pdksh-isms and become more compatible with ksh93.

That error message is pretty annoying. There really wasn't any useful info after that line?

Perhaps somebody with a Debian environment could perform a simple experiment for us. That function should work fine outside of the Xsetup environment: Try running ksh yourself, copy/pasting that function definition into your shell, and do:
logerr "Testing 1,2,3"

Then, look in your logs - do you see the message?
Try it with both forms of function definition and let us know your results.

-Bob

The ksh package is described as "the real, AT&T version of the Korn
shell" whereas pdksh "has most of the ksh88 features, not much of the
ksh93 features, and a number of its own features".

Another shot into the dark: this function uses the "logger" binary,
provided on Debian by the "bsdutils" package. Is this present in Ubuntu?

Meik