peter_blatherw...@mitel.com schrieb:

Fixed it. Thanks for the thoughts all. Based on following down the thread pointed to below by Chuck, found that there was a config file that was bad in our broken RHEL install. (Fine on the others that are working happily). Specifically, the file */etc/pam.d/uthotdesk* needs to look something like:
*   auth      include   system-auth   *
*   account   include   system-auth*
*   password  include   system-auth*
*   session   include   system-auth*

The file had lines of the form "*<blah> required pam_deny.so*" -- that does not work, resulting in the card-based hotdesking lock-ups. Looks like it was sending authorizations to oblivion (ie denying access, returning an internal error)? Perhaps others deeper in this area could explain. Any thoughts on how our system might have gotten into this state would be appreciated. Especially, what install process may have gone wrong. One thing I noticed, gnome-screensaver was not installed on our busted system. (This cam up as related in the other thread.) It generates a file for itself in same pm.d directory, of exact form we are looking for here. Could it be SRSS install tries to clone the screensaver file??

Yes. Essentially SRSS tries to clone the 'gnome-screensaver' file for uthdlogin. It falls back to cloning the 'other' file, if that one isn't there.

'Other' really is intended to provide the policy for any new authentication services. If that policy is "don't let anyone in", that is what you get. IMHO the paranoid 'other' file that is shipped recently on Linux gets this wrong.

Do you have any kind of screen saver or screen lock installed on your system? What is its pam.d file called? And would that file do the right thing for Sun Ray re-login/unlock?

- Jörg