[stands up, cheers]

On 7/7/10 6:49 PM, Gary Carr wrote:
What about fvwm2?

Gary Carr
Office Phone: 667-5785
Cell Phone: 500-6091
Email: gc...@lanl.gov

On 7/7/2010 4:41 PM, Jörg Barfurth wrote:
Seth Galitzer schrieb:
One thing I have noticed is that in kiosk mode, I don't get any
window decorations. It's not a big deal and was the same case with
the original XmCreateMessageBox wrapper. I just thought it maybe
would look a bit "nicer" and more polished if there was something
there. Is this possible by customizing the dtsession environment
somehow? Or does the kiosk session not really have an desktop
environment to speak of?

The kiosk environment has no window manager unless you start one. This
is geared toward a single full-screen application taking control of
the display.

If you need a window manager, you need to use (or create) a kiosk
session type that starts one.

On Solaris you can use the predefined "CDE" kiosk session type, which
has dtwm as window manager (and dtsession as session manager). But
that is not an option on Linux and has been designated as deprecated
or obsolete, because CDE will go away in the next release of Solaris.

The predefined "JDS3" session (on Solaris) or more generally
gnome-session with metacity as a window manager is probably too
heavyweight for most uses of kiosk - and it is difficult to lock down
the rich feature set of these components reliably.

So in most cases you'll want a small, lightweight, basic window
manager and may not need a session manager. Unfortunately there is no
window manager that fits that description, has a nice modern look and
feel without much customization and that is available (preferably by
default) on the supported platforms.

So, if you need a window manager, you'll have to find one that fits
your needs, install it and start it from you kiosk session script.

HTH

- Jörg Barfurth

Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL