Hello Anil,

There are several things you can buy from Oracle.

Hardware (Sun Rays, servers, storage) = list price (if possible minus a discount)
Support on hardware = 4% of the net price (price minus discount)
I am still trying to get the SLA document for this support since customers are not used to support on their desktops and I need some information to convince the customer to buy the 4% support on a Sun Ray.

Support on OS = 8% of the net hardware price. (this makes the Sun Ray 3i quite expensive since you need this support to upgrade the firmware on the Sun Ray)

Hardware and OS can be combined in "systems support" which is then of course 12% of the net hardware price.

Then you also need a Right To Use license for Sun Ray or VDI software.
And last but not least you have to pay 22% support on the net price of the RTU license.

If you want support you have to pay support costs every year.
If you add all these support costs (Sun Ray, keyboard, mouse, Servers, Storage, VDI software) it becomes quite expensive. My experience is that it will not fit in any desktop replacement budget of governments that I am working with. The only possibility is to ask for a discount since all support is based on the net price. The problem than is that it takes Oracle way to much time to process a discount request. This increases the risc that the government replacement deadlines are not met and all the hard work has been for nothing.

I hope Oracle will look seriously into this problem because they are losing a lot of opportunities right now with these price levels. I have mentioned this before in my e-mails and I am hoping someone at the top will look into this.

I have been informed that support of hardware and OS are optional.
To reduce costs you might want to try to do without the 4% hardware support but the 8% OS support will be advisable since the development of the Sun ray software is moving forward pretty quickly.
The OS support gives you the right to upgrade the firmware on the Sun Rays.

Kind regards,

Ivar

Randy schreef:
I ran into the same issue and this is what i got back from my CDWG rep if your SRSS is on sun hardware you can get a support license and all of that stuff.

if it is not then you don't need to pay for it but you also don't get any support or upgrades or patches. you would have to go thru a 3rd party vendor or someone that you have to pay to get those those patches and upgrades....

Thats what CDWg told me..

Randy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anil" <replic...@gmail.com>