Just curious...

When it is said that Support makes as Sun Ray 3/3+/3i expensive, it is viewed as expensive when compared to what? Are we talking about Sun Ray sold by Sun where we had the same exact maintenance policy but sold by a Sales force on a gross number, not revenue, were all to happy to leave that off because it meant you'd buy more DTU's?

The same Sun where if you bought support on anything, you could access any patch, even if legally you weren't entitled to it? And support would take any call regardless if you had a valid support ID (not maintenance ID). And people wonder why Sun isn't around anymore.

Or are we comparing this against other vendors in the real world?

Like Wyse maintenance, which just means updates.
ThinOS is $7 USD per client for service releases
Major upgrade fro 4 to 5?  $80
WinCE $52.99

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=1367012#PO

If you didn't buy support at the time of device purchase, a true up is required after 90 days.

But they have a 3 year warranty! Sun Ray only has one. Did you know that if don't manually enter your serial number for every thin client you buy within 90 days of purchase, then the 3 year warranty becomes a one year? Big catch there don't you think?

http://www.wyse.com/products/software/rapportFAQs.asp#purchase_additional_year

And have a lot of fun entering that data. And be sure to do it all in that 90 day window!

http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsupport/wssfaq/SelfServicePortalFAQ.html#RegisterProduct

Then you need maintenance and support on the delivery vehicle to get those updates out to the devices. There is that free workgroup edition though. However if you want more than bug fixes, you'll pay $19 per device. Have more than 750 clients or need to do a branch architecture so you are not flooding the WAN with large OS updates (over 300 MB)? You'll need to upgrade enterprise edition. That's another $47 a seat (or $32 if you already paid $19 for feature updates to the workgroup edition)

Do you want MMR and USB-R? Per seat licensing of $40 for TCX and a yearly maintenance of $11

This is all academic right? Because you can just download the bits from their site, or get them from a partner, right?
http://www.wyse.com/serviceandsupport/support/dlOraFW.asp?which=81&model=V10L%28Wyse%20Thin%20OS%29

I didn't major in finance, but it seems to me that if I wanted the same features, support, and updates that come with an expensive Sun Ray, it gets pretty expensive too, In fact if I bought this for a $250 Wyse S10 I paid 60% of the hardware cost the first year and %40 of the hardware cost the second. Sure, percentages and stats don't tell the whole truth. I can lower that 60% or 40% to something pretty low by buying one of their cloud PC's. Now I'm in the 10% range because my client is over $1,000 USD. Wait, what?

Haven't even touched upon upgrading that warranty to bronze, silver, or gold level warranty service if you'd like that unit to replaced in a timely manner or the differences in regular support and maintenance above and what the uplift of "Priority Plus Support" and "Priority Plus Maintenance"

Again, just curious.