On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Alexander Koponen wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Phares, Scott (IS) wrote:

Good point. I have just downloaded and built a Ubuntu 11.10 server and was wondering what the plan was for SRS and 11.10.

Look forward to a response.

Official support or community based support?

I've been trying to get SRSS on Ubuntu for some time (without success (I must've been doing seomthing(s) wrong)) and my conclusion is that it might work, briefly - but SRSS is not for Ubuntu.

Am I wrong?

I believe there are plenty of people using SRSS with Ubuntu or Debian, myself included. However, you'll find that most of us take a more conservative approach to our upgrades. For instance, I have had two SRSS servers running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS for at least three years now. I am almost ready to replace them with two newer systems running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS which will mostly likely see another three years of use. The Linux distributions that SRSS does officially support are no different and are based around long-term production stability.

Deploying on a release like 11.10, while nifty for the newer packages and overall desktop experience, doesn't make for a good production environment. I doubt anyone in the community really wants to put effort into supporting a release that will only have a six month life cycle, especially when those releases introduce radical changes to software that SRSS currently depends on.

Sticking with Ubuntu LTS releases or Debian stable releases is your best bet for community support.

-phillip