Hello all!

So I still owe the list some feedback about the resolution.  My
problem was:
> a user at a customer site has
> actually managed to power off a 3plus DTU during a firmware update.
> The DTU is now bricked.  The green power light comes on, but nothing
> else visible happens.

The solution suggested by Kent Peacock:
> When the firmware is corrupted
> like this, it can be restored by connecting it to a network that
> provides DHCP parameters that point to a firmware server. There is a
> program that is part of the boot sectors called "ETFTP" (Emergency TFTP)
> that is run when the firmware doesn't pass the signature check.:

And more info from Jayme Snyder:
> you don't even really need to set up an SROS
> server, just any old dhcp server where you can control the options
> and a tftp server.  Set option 66 to be the ip of your tftp server
> and copy the firmware package to the tftproot.

Executive summary:  It worked, but...

Long info:  I set up a SROS server as described, and could see the
DTU pulling in the firmare via snoop.  Then it would try to read the
first block past the end of the file, get a tftp access violation,
sleep a bit, and then retry, until the heat death of the universe.
The tftp access violation distracted me for quite a while, but I now
think this is just the normal way as the ETFTP routine does not know the
proper size of the firmware file.

Then finally I had an idea and took a much older firmware (around
2011 vintage) and pointed the tftp param to that version instead.
Sure enough, the DTU dutifully pulled that version in, reset
itself, and *then* pulled the proper, current version of the
firmware.  It seems that the ETFTP thinks the DTU is a "SunRayP9"
(a.k.a CoronaP9) but doesn't like the file provided for that name in
SROS 11.1.3.0.  Once the DTU is flashed with the 2011 stuff, it then
looks for the extSunRayP9 version (all names from memory; I'm on a
train) and loads that one just fine.

So thanks for the help from this fantastic list.  I hope that together
we can keep this great Sun Ray technology alive a little longer.

Regards -- Volker