  From: John Stewart
  Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 3:50 PM
  Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] What are sunray users going to do once Oracle
stop support

  On 10/01/2014 01:17 PM, Steven Gelsie wrote:

I was wondering what sunray users are planning once Oracle stops support
on the sunrays.  Do you plan to find a sunray replacement ?Both of our teaching
labs which are primarily used for our statistics courses were equipped with Sun
Ray devices.  It had seemed quite promising when we converted the first lab to
Sun Ray devices six years.  However things changed...

    a.. almost all our courses now use Windows based applications so there
wasn't much point in first dropping them into a Linux Gnome session.

    b.. SAS licensing was expensive as we needed our own Windows Terminal
Server type license instead of being able to use individual pc licensing which
the university was already paying for.
    c.. USB flash drive performance was poor and it was hard to get the system
to recognize large capacity flash drives (who is carrying around a 1GB flash
drive these days?).
    d.. Oracle wanted us to pay a yearly software maintenance fee for each Sun
Ray to be able to receive updates to the Sun Ray software.

    e.. Oracle announced there would be no further development of the Sun Ray
technology.
  Last year we reverted to using pc's in one of the labs.  As we had no budget
we had to use machines that our central computing department had taken out of
service.  The difficulty of managing a pc lab had been one of the reasons for
the switch to Sun Ray devices but this time we opted to use a slightly modified
student image provided by our central computing department.  SCCM is used to
image the machines and push out changes so the management tasks are largely
taken care of for us.

  This September we've gone with a Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI) solution in
our remaining Sun Ray lab.  We are using Dell Wyse P25 Zero Clients so we have
many of the advantages of the Sun Ray's -- low power consumption, reliability
and no noise.  USB flash drive performance is good and logins are quick.  I
haven't seen any operational problems at all and the folks at the server end
tell us that they are not seeing any noticeable increase in the load on their
servers when a class is running.  Unless something totally unexpected happens
in the next few weeks, I expect we'll convert the pc lab over to Zero Clients
in December.

  Our Physics department plan to continue operating a Sun Ray teaching lab.
That's fine with us as it gives us a place for instructors who want a Linux
based environment for their course.

--
John Stewart -- Faculty of Science, Carleton University
Internet: john.stew...@carleton.ca                       613-520-2600x3707