Cutting off support doesn't make them non-functional.  But does make them
more vulnerable over time, and less likely to work with newer operating
systems as they roll out.  Also, they can't be re-sold, or used in new
solutions for customers.  It would be like if you went down to the computer
store to get a new desktop, and they gave you an old PS/2 mouse and
keyboard out of a dusty bin somewhere -- yeah, it'll probably work, but you
kinda want new stuff when you buy new stuff. ;)