Alex Efros:

I'm not sure is it good idea to include .u files in usual rotation process at all, and especially handle them just like .s files. If several crashes happens for some reason in a short period of time this will result in deletion of all log files except last (say) 10 .u files, which are usually small and may contain just one line. Replacing 10MB of last logs with 10 last log lines doesn't sounds like a nice idea.

Then cap the log directory by total file size rather than file count. M. Bercot and I both provide tools with this feature. "I want to keep the last 10MiB of logs." is exactly what it is for.

* http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/nosh/guide/cyclog.html

* http://skarnet.org./software/s6/s6-log.html