Στις Κυρ, Φεβ 2, 2020 at 09:07, ο/η Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> έγραψε:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 12:34:05 +0200
fungal-net <fungal...@obarun.org <mailto:fungal...@obarun.org>> wrote:

 Void is also
 very close, I for one use it with s6 and 66 for a while now and in
many ways being more carefree than obarun having fast balls thrown by
 arch daily.

Have you, or are you going to, write documentation on how to install
and maintain s6 (and presumably s6-rc) on Void? Are you using Void's
s6* packages, or do you compile the stuff yourself? If you install
Void's s6* packages, does that remove runit? I'd like to have both, to
a/b them against each other and to more quickly learn s6*.

I am the maintainer of 66/66-tools and oblibs templates/packages in voidlinux. The 66/s6/s6-rc packages contain only what is provided by the upstream projects
or compiled with the projects build systems.
The scripts for runit stage 1 and some relevant utilities are developed in the void-runit gh
repo [1] and packaged in the runit-void package [2].
Currently there is no package that does the same for 66. I plan to build one once I have enough time for testing. I will accomplish this by modifying the boot-66serv [3] project already used by obarun. I am going to create both
a '66-void' package that will be rougly analogous  to the runit-void one
and a base-system-66 package that will replace base-system. I plan to use the same basic configuration file (/etc/rc.conf) and follow existing (and mostly unwritten/assumed) void policies regarding the basic system functionality. Switching from one init system to the other should require no more than installing
the new base system and doing basic configuration (once).

It seems trivial to me to deploy s6 stage 2 and migrate all my runit
stage2 to s6 stage 2. However, migrating stage 1 sounds to me like an
Einsteinian task. Runit's stage 1 repeatedly loops through .d
directories in what I find to be an unobvious way.

boot-66serv works fine with void [4]-[5], but I want to make (and test) certain changes in order to package it properly. You will need 66 and 66-tools packages
installed.
That being said, 66 is not just s6-rc and s6. It uses an ini-based format for services [6] and has some simple but powerfull utilities. It organises services in trees [7] - obarun has (ootb) a boot tree (provided by boot-66serv) and a root
tree populated by service frontend files packaged seperately.

It seems to me that Void is getting more popular every day, and Void
could serve as a Rosetta Stone between runit and s6. I'd appreciate any
documentation you have or will write in the future concerning your use
of s6* on Void.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
<http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive>

[1] https://github.com/void-linux/void-runit
[2] https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/blob/a71b0a458be6ae5d095dc94aa4f2983acc0796db/srcpkgs/runit-void/template
[3] https://framagit.org/Obarun/boot-66serv