What I do is little different: my login shell is /etc/execline-startup, which after setting up a few things, execs into ~/.execline-loginshell, which among other things execs into s6-envdir reading the same env dir as my supervision tree, and finally executes into my actual shell.

I’ll attach the files to this email so you can take a look at them.

This looks sensible, I might use this for myself.

That said, I have come to the following conclusion: Gentoo is a distribution based on choice and freedom of configuration. Thus I will probably just add a section to the user-service wiki entry I will write, explaining what directory has to be sourced and why as well as providing examples on how to do this with the most common login methods.

Thank you!

Paul