... then begs the question: what's the advantage of having the
${S6CONFIGDIR}/system/config/seatd entry point at all? How much effort
does this save the admin over creating their own my_seatd service and
disabling the one you provide?
(Honest question, I don't fully grok s6.)

It doesn’t save any effort at all.
I disagree, because it allows original service scripts to sit at /usr/lib/s6-rc/{user,system}/src/service
and be recklessly updated by the package manager.

For the record, I’m also in favor of this: the simpler the service scripts, the better in my opinion. They’re easier to understand, simpler to adapt. A short and direct script can be as descriptive as descriptive configuration files sometimes, but better because you actually know everything that takes place. :D
I wholeheartedly agree, this is pretty exactly my mindset too. Additionally they are probably faster, since they are smaller and do not need to parse configs.

Regards,

Paul