Robert Kaiser wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
I saw these today:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/09/02/26/Safari_4_rivals_Google_Chrome_in_JavaScript_race_1.html?source=NLC-DAILY&cgd=2009-02-26

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128512

and I do think that there are people who will choose a browser based on
rendering speed.

1) JS execution is not rendering speed. Rendering a website takes more than just JS - actually, for most websites, JS isn't the main factor in rendering speed at all.

2) SunSpider numbers are benchmarks that concentrate on running lots of JS commands over and over again in tight loops. Real-World JS is usually not doing that, so it's comparing apples with oranges. Both are fruit and somewhat sphere-shaped and still they are completely different.

The problem I see is that "usually" is changing as people write more stuff in js rather than CGI.It has the multiple advantages of (a) better response to the user, (b) less load and security issue on the server, and (c) allowing the possibility of keeping user data only on the user computer. With all the new rules about data security, that (c) is important.

3) You are free to work on speeding up JS in Mozilla even more, the code is all open and contributors are always welcome.

Even if someone were to port webkit to SM, I can't imagine you breaking with FF and actually competing with it on features.

4) SeaMonkey 2 will ship with the same TraceMonkey-enabled JS engine as Firefox 3.1, and the current versions are still far from optimized.

As long as seamonkey chooses to follow firefox it will stand in the FF shadow. Webkit is open source and could have been used instead, giving SM a significant performance advantage over FF.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>