What causes duplicated messages?

One thing that I've found that RELIABLY duplicates messages is to have
your address on at least two of the To:, Cc, and/or Bcc: lines AND the
mail is processed via some flavor of MS mail handler.  MS seems to
process each of these lines separately and keeps addees on each line
separate.  MS doesn't seem to recognize that the To:, Cc: and Bcc:
lines are just for HUMAN convenence and has nothing to do with mail
handling.

What MS should do is to consolidate all three lines into one (w/o
changing the message itself), sorting the addresses uniquely, and then
initiating connections.  At a minimum, the MS product will make one
connection for each of the To:, Cc: and Bcc: headers.

Your address needs to be on a least TWO of the headers to get the
message duplicated.  If it is on all three of the headers, then you get
a message in triplicate.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:16:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: What causes duplicate messages?
> From: Maria Rosales <maria.or.miahb...@gmail.com>
> To: chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
> Cc: support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org
>
> You have to go into settings and deselect that the message not be
> deleted after you are through reading it. If you do not do that it
> makes them unread messages all over again.
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> > HeavyDuty wrote:

> >> Are ALL your messages duplicated and with that date, or just some?
While I
> >> have not a clue, I would suspect a problem with the e-mail host.
> >
> > Just some....
> >
> > I thought it was just on mail from a friend who uses Apple, but
after a
> > couple of days of just some of her messages duplicating that way, I
got
> > one from a friend who uses AOL, right behind the other one's
message.
> > Don't know if they were related, I failed to check if maybe it was a
> > reply to one of the Apple messages.
> >
> > I didn't know if it was Microsoft or Apple related perhaps, since
I'm the
> > only
> > one who doesn't use MS based e-mail [except the 1 friend using
Apple].
> > bj

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson